vale

Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

my thoughts are with all mustang drivers around the world today. Vale failed chook farmer Carroll Shelby :-( (creator of the Shelby Cobra and muscle cars)

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: vale

Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

2. Re: vale

Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Love your post!!!! My daughter is named Shelby after the maker of the Shelby Cobra.
    Grace Lisa Lily-Jeter

3. Re: vale

Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Rockin' cool!!!!
    Grace Lisa Lily-Jeter

4. Re: vale

Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM

vale and thank you Rita and my thoughts are with Esther Schmidt xx

this thread is probably an inappropriate place to write this, perhaps someone who knew them better might start a thread

5. Re: vale

Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Reminds me of the Steve McQueen film Bullitt, only his Mustang was a classic.

6. Re: vale

Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM

hi Annie, yeah at the time I was rushing, as usual, but was wanting a Steve McQueen Bullitt pic. A friend has a 1970s fastback - it was his Dads and it does about 1/2 mile to the litre but what a great half a mile!! Very noisy though - not good for road trips because you're deaf by the end of it. He was crestfallen when Carroll Shelby died - I heard about it from him.

I'm still crestfallen about Rita. RIP xx

7. Re: vale

Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Melody I know you meant the classic. Never been to San Francisco but I think I would love it.Is that where you're from?

8. Re: vale

Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Someone from my family lived there during the big quake of 1906? He is buried at a cemetery near Golden Gate Park.

9. Re: vale

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM
  10. Re: vale

Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

vale Neil, not only was he an astronaut he was also a cattle farmer. Would have been an amazing time to be alive

11. Re: vale

Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

oh sorry that's a bit big

12. Re: vale

Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Moon River, wider than a mile,
    I'm crossing you in style some day.
    Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
    wherever you're going I'm going your way.
    Two drifters off to see the world.
    There's such a lot of world to see.
    We're after the same rainbow's end--
    waiting 'round the bend,
    my huckleberry friend,
    Moon River and me.

http://youtu.be/flm4xcOyiCo

Born free, as free as the wind blows
    As free as the grass grows
    Born free to follow your heart
    Live free and beauty surrounds you
    The world still astounds you
    Each time you look at a star
    Stay free, where no walls divide you
    You're free as the roaring tide
    So there's no need to hide
    Born free, and life is worth living
    But only worth living
    'Cause you're born free
    (Stay free, where no walls divide you)

http://youtu.be/1pR6ho_GSZs

and so so many more, such phrasing, such a timbre:
    Can't take my eyes off you
    Godfather
    Love story
    Aloha Oe
    Shadow of your smile

etc etc etc

13. Re: vale

Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Love Story! Good one.

Didn't know it had lyrics until he sung them.

14. Re: vale

Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Yes, he had a wonderful voice - and demeanor. I don't remember very much about him, but I do remember my family always enjoyed watching his show - one of the few things that brought us all together in the evenings.

15. Re: vale

Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Born free means most to me. As a young kid the gang I was in joined the RSPCA (Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). No real RSPCA meetings for us although I think Dad took us all to one once, rather the gang would have 'official meetings' in the back shed, to which we'd take our RSPCA member certificates and wear our RSPCA badges and always kick off formally by listening to Born free on a tape recorder earnestly like listening to a national anthem or something. And then we'd officially discuss measures we'd taken to prevent cruelty to animals - like building cardboard box houses for our pet cats and then forcing them to sit inside them....... or go to the creek collecting tadpoles to preserve the frog species but they'd grow into toads and escape the laundry into the house and poison the cats - have you ever seen a cat/dog poisoned by toads? It's not pretty - they emit long streams of foaming saliva from their mouths.

We meant well. Born free.

Moon river was sort of ruined for me. About 8 years ago I went to NY full of enthusiasm to go to THE Tiffany's store. A friend and I dolled up classy, we paused outside while I overcame my awe. Then ventured in, but my snakeskin handbag (I had it diagonally over my shoulder) got caught in the revolving door and stuck there and security had to come over and release me and get the door revolving again. Meanwhile my friend (who went in ahead of me) was in the store pretending not to know me.

PS I accidentally linked to a karaoke version of love story - have edited and fixed it now. You'll now hear the real Andy Williams

16. Re: vale

Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Vale BB Cunningham Jr., guitarist for Jerry Lee Lewis who was kIlled in a shoot-out. Allegedly
    http://t.co/KTtAMSMH

17. Re: vale

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Vale Bill Dees :-(

Dees co- wrote "Oh, Pretty Woman" "It's Over" the soundtrack to The Fastest Guitar Alive. And lots of songs performed by Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Skeeter Davis, Glen Campbell, Billy Joe Royal, Frank Ifield, Mark Dinning and Gene Pitney.

From Bill Dees:

The night we wrote "Pretty Woman," Roy Orbison said, you don't have to go at work Monday if you don't want to because I was already in over a dime raise, that it was time for them to raise me a dime. He said, buy yourself an electric piano, and I'll take you on the road with me. And he said, I'll pay you what the band's getting.
    The first hit song that Roy Orbison had was the Everly Brothers' recording of "Claudette," which was about his wife. And they had been separated and divorced actually, and they'd gotten back together.
    And then, when they got back together, he was just a changed person. And she came bopping down the stairs and said, hon, give me some money. And why do you need money for, he said. And she said, well, I got to go to the store. And as she walked away, they were like whispering and kissing, bye, you know, away from me. And I stood up at the table.
    And he came back to the table, and I said, does this sound funny? Pretty women don't need no money. And he laughed. And he sat down. He said that there's nothing funny about pretty women. And right away, started pretty woman, walking down the street. By the time she got back, we had it written.
    He turned with a guitar lick, and he said, I feel like I need to say something rather than playing du du du, you know. I said, well, you are always saying mercy. Why don't you say mercy? And, you know, I said, every time you see a pretty girl, you say mercy.
    I personally think that every male that has ever walked this earth at a certain point in his life is trying to catch the eye of a pretty woman. And I visualize the sailor, you know, on a corner and the gal with red hot heels. I mean, maybe a yellow skirt or something, you know, just a wow-looking gal, really frisky coming down and everybody's going... (Soundbite of wolf whistle) And then she comes back to you and says, OK, if I've got some time, let's go over there to have a cup of coffee.

Dees decided to move his family to Nashville in 1964, traveling in a 1955 Pontiac:
    My wife and I decided that we would go as far as the car would take us. If it broke down before we got there, we would save money and move further on later.

They made it to Nashville, where the car soon broke down and Dees said he had to use his overcoat as payment to get the car towed to a mechanic.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/bill-dees-writer-pretty-woman-dies-17613743#.UJiE0RztiJk
    http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=97826285
    Wikipedia

18. Re: vale

Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  19. Re: vale

Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Love Wild Thing. First song I learned to play on the guitar. Bye Reg.
    Another one I love he wrote - Love is All Around Sweet lyrics, sweet tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5uC91FcbI

20. Re: vale

Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

vale Magic Slim. I don't know much about his music except this one: http://youtu.be/Tle5SPIfWJ0