VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM

For two years I have gone to see Chris at St. Michelle winery near Seattle, Washington. $250 a pop. Each year the same thing happens. I get great seats, last night first row dead center. But 1/ minutes into the show drunken peopke who have been there drinking already for 4 hours before the show rush up and fill the 6 foot gap between the stage and first row. So if you arr in those expensive seats you can't see a thing! You have to stand up and literally jostle for a position! Last night security prevented anymore people from getting up there but did not remove the rest. Many people in the first few rows got pissed and I saw them go home. Why pay $250 a ticket for VIP tickets when your get dog crap treatment?

Update: VIPNATION on Facebook said they had no idea this was happening but it was the venue responsibility. I am taking that to be the Winery who I talked to today and really didn't want to talk about this.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM

CAN BE A PROBLEM AT SOME SHOWS ( NO MATTER WHO THE ARTIST IS )
    ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE'S A VIP PACKAGE AVAILABLE THAT INCLUDES FREE DRINK.
    I GUESS IT'S A WINERY SO THEY'D WANT TO PUSH THE BOOZE.

THE QUESTION IS THOUGH, WHAT TO DO !?
    IF A BAND IS PERFORMING THEY NEED CROWD INTERACTION TO ADD TO THE ATMOSPHERE.
    WHAT LEVEL OF INTERACTION ? DEPENDS.....THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE TRY TO BE AWARE OF OTHERS AROUND THEM, SO NOT TO CAUSE OFFENCE.

MAYBE A COMPROMISE THAT YOU CAN STAND UP FOR THE ROCKING SONGS BUT SIT DOWN FOR THE SLOW SONGS.
    I KNOW THAT DOESN'T SOLVE PERMANENT STANDERS BLOCKING THE VIEW YOU'VE PAID FOR.

ANYONE GOT OTHER IDEAS ?

2. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Oh John, I'm so sorry that was ruined for you. I had a similar experience once at a music festival -- not as exciting or expensive, but we were still like "what the freak????"

Sadly it makes the ticket provider look bad and puts the artist in an awkward position, and it is all the fault of the venue. They need to have better security, better controls in place. Aside from the nuisance issue, I can't imagine that's very safe either! They are setting themselves up for a major lawsuit if something happens or someone gets hurt. As an artist (which I'm not but if I were) if the situation at a venue is making loyal fans unhappy, I'd seriously consider playing a different venue! I can imagine if its that bad up front, it probably as bad or worse further back!

3. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Drunken Revelries!

Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us!
    Did they allow people to record this on their Iphones and Cam Phones?
    Did you go to the meet and greet and chat about this with the band or did signing the liability waiver include no talking to the band?

VIP Nation has someone that travels with the band and takes care of any problems you may be having with your VIP experience. You're given a number to call them directly!
    Here's the number for Chris Isaak's VIP agent:

CHRIS ISAAK:
    310 592 5184
    YOUR VIP NATION TEAM
    +1-888-458-8297

So far, I haven't had anything like that happen to me at any of the 8 shows I've attended over the last 10 years and all the shows had alcohol being served. I was sitting in the first 5 rows at a liquor establishment and they made sure to ask the people in the front to sit down for the benefit of other patrons when they got too excited. Another show where I was in the first 10 rows, everyone was standing up and dancing (me as well) and people were allowed to come near the stage but they weren't allowed to rush and it was only a few that did that! I don't believe they were drunk to do that, just excited about the show.

Excitement and energy is what the band is looking for and they feed off that energy, from what I've been told. I don't know how alcohol plays into all this other than turning a few people, a few, into a nuisance (yelling out too much, drawing attention to themselves and not being aware of how they're affecting other patrons). However, the same thing can be said for cellcam users!!! Wow, are they annoying sometimes and can really ruin the experience for others. The venue will come out and ask people not to record and confiscate phones from the really annoying people but overall, they're limited when it comes to a crowd of about 5,000 or so people! Youtube is a testament to this fact!

http://youtu.be/ybwQIREGQfk
    Ringo Starr this month at the St. Michelle Winery.

Please continue purchasing VIP tickets if you can afford them! The band needs the extra money for vaccinations!

4. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I never understood how/why people would get so drunk at a show. If I did that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show or remember it the next day. I went to a Springsteen concert a few years back and had four very drunk guys in front of me. They were such a distraction. It did spoil the show for me. I was happy when one of them passed out head first into the aisle. : ) I will say at a Chris Isaak show I do like it when everyone is standing up and really getting into the show. I went to a show a couple weeks ago and the crowd only stood up for two songs. It made the show atlittle less exciting for me personally.

5. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:14 PM

it's ROCK'n'ROLL!!!!!

The VIP packs are great value - meet and greet, maybe a goodie bag, seat up front. But I don't believe the VIP tickets entitle holders to the space between the seats and the stage or sides.

6. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Yeah !! ..... It's Rock & Roll !!.....But you gotta have some Peace & Love !!...Baby !

Just remember your fellow fan

7. RE: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I have experienced this too at certain venues and security failed to do anything despite complaints from numerous ticket holders. I am some what sensitive to this situation because I once attended a Chris concert with my friend and her husband who is in a wheelchair. When people crowded the stage he was unable to see the show because he was not able to stand up like the rest of us, and he was not the only one-there were several women in wheelchairs in the area too. One possible solution,if the venue has the room to do it safely, would be to rope off areas to the side of the stage where those who would like to dance could go to do so. Most entertainers work the side of the stage too so they could still have the closeness to the audience but allow good sight lines for those who wish to remain in their seats.

8. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

My experience has been that people are accommodating and considerate if you just ask or with a gentle reminder. For example, when two drunken ladies in front of me at Harrah's South Shore continued to talk loudly during a concert, I tapped one on the shoulder and said, "you know, I paid $75 to hear this guy sing..." they were immediately embarrassed and apologetic, and quieted right down. And at Grass Valley two "drunken jerks" gave up their front row seats to a young lady in a wheelchair and her sister so they could get a better view and took the seats behind us instead. I suppose if the crowd is really large and pressing the stage this would be hard to do, but maybe speaking up politely might work better than making more "regulations"?? What do you think?

9. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Ok, those of us who like to see and hear our live music up front and personal are rightly ignited when idiots sidle up front and, in many cases, to the EDGE of the STAGE (geez!!!).
    In this case I 1) inform the burly security guards (who do nothing), and/or 2) trip the offenders on their way
    up and/or back. Sooooo rude.
    #2 works best.

10. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:42 AM

dls403 wrote:
    Ok, those of us who like to see and hear our live music up front and personal are rightly ignited when idiots sidle up front and, in many cases, to the EDGE of the STAGE (geez!!!).
    In this case I 1) inform the burly security guards (who do nothing), and/or 2) trip the offenders on their way
    up and/or back. Sooooo rude.
    #2 works best.

Hey, dls403, nice to have you with us. Did you spend all evening coming up with responses? I love it. Keep us laughing.

11. Re: VIPNATION tickets spoiled by drunken jerks

Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I was at that concert........I have been to every Chris Isaak concert in the Seattle area since 1992. Back in the day my sisters and I would get in line very early to get seats up front. Every time was the same. People would stand up and crowd us out. Once we even had people come down our row and stand right in front of us. One year we decided to sit in the "cheap seats" back then they were the bleachers. We found this area to be much more fun and we could see the whole show..... I see that VIP Nation has two kinds of tickets. One that includes seating and one that does not. Maybe next year just buy the meet and greet tickets than purchase lawn tickets on your own. Not as close to the action......But the view is much better